Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Not quite!

Oh...the paperwork really will never end, will it?

Despite submitting our dossier this week, our foundation has asked for ANOTHER power of attorney to be signed.  I know we did this early in the process, but apparently it's different or it's changed or who knows!  The store where we normally notarize documents didn't have their notary there when we arrived, so we went to another place that did have their notary.  The document is notarized, but...of course! It needs an apostille!  There's no one available to do this...and waiting isn't really an option...so I'll be driving 4+ hours round trip with my little girl tomorrow to get it done.  Praying that it is the very last document for a long while.  I admit, my patience has been tried to the maximum on this issue.

I am in the middle of final exams.  My semester of three classes over the last eight weeks is almost at an end.  It was insanity to do this, but somehow I did.  I sacrificed my GPA only slightly with the choice, and got nine credits out of the way in the meantime.  I am on fire to finish my degree quickly, particularly before our little Dude comes home and likely takes time away from me to complete my education.  When this semester ends, I will have seven classes remaining in my college education.  I wish I could find a way to finish sooner, but all I can do is continue to work hard and pray. 

"But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar like wings on eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."  (Isaiah 40:31).

I am praying for our little, precious future son, who waits and lives in The Bad Place, not knowing what his future is, and knowing nothing about us.  I pray for the families who are considering adoption.  I pray for the children who may never know the love of a family - for little Christian; a forgotten child in Bulgaria whose darling face may never be seen by a Mommy or Daddy.  I pray for all of the families who are adopting, that they remain in peace with themselves and with each other.  It makes me sad to see parents who are striving to do good argue among each other over petty disagreements.  I pray for peace and strength to continue to move the mountains that sometimes stand in our way as we reach across continents to find the children who need families - or across the miles for those who are lovingly adopting the children right here in our country.

I did a good deed yesterday, though.

I noticed my spatula was looking a bit worse for the wear.  We are putting together a small bake sale this Saturday, baking chocolate chips as a small fundraiser for our future son.  It has been nearly impossible to manage, with finals and Avon orders, and everything else to take care of.  So far, I have baked two batches of cookies and plan to make more.

I also noticed my tongs were broken.

I had a choice.

I could find time to run to Target or Walmart and purchase a set of tongs and a new spatula, and likely pay a few dollars less.  If I wanted to, I could go on Amazon.com and buy something.

Instead, I made mention of it on Facebook, asking if any adopting family was doing a Pampered Chef or other kitchenware fundraiser.  Someone said that they were.  I went on their website and purchased my spatula and tongs. 

Was it more than I would have spent normally?  Yes, I'm certain it was.

But I knew that I was supporting the very best cause imaginable.  But it was more than that.  I informed this family (who I do not know at all) that I was buying.  They responded, "Oh thank you! No one has purchased a thing from us - thank you so much!"

So many of us are fundraising and praying for the funds we need to complete our adoptions.  We know what it is like when we put together a giveaway, or ask for donations to our accounts, or set up a t-shirt sale.  We know what it is like when that isn't terribly successful.  Even if we are faithful, sometimes it can hurt.  I can't tell you how happy it made me to spend a few extra dollars for something I did actually need, but to be able to support someone else's adoption AND bring them happiness in the process!

Let's try to think this way as we work through our adoptions.  Do you need some new clothes for your kiddos?  Consider an adoption t-shirt! So many people are selling those.  Do you need a kitchen gadget?  Find a fundraiser!  Want to own a Kindle, a Nook, an Ipad?  Enter a giveaway!  Looking for inexpensive gift items, or new makeup?  I'm selling Avon, and I'll bet others are too.  We are taught to think globally but act locally.  Let's think that way too.  I know for me, I may have paid a few extra dollars for those kitchen items, but I'm so glad I did :)

"In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and and praise your Father in Heaven!"  (Matthew 5:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kind comments are welcomed. Poorly researched, ill-informed, horrifically biased comments are exploded. :)